Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Two of my favorites, one right after the other...

...on the drive home...
You know what lyric always cracked me up?
"Corn won't grow way up on Rocky Top, dirt's too rocky by far,
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top, get their corn from a jar."
Yep. I hadn't heard that song in quite a while. As far as I can remember it's the only Osborne Brothers song I've ever heard, but I really like their sound. No doubt if I keep listening I'll hear more, though.
And right after that, one of Hank Williams Jr.'s slower numbers...
No one to talk to, all by myself, no one to walk with, but I'm happy on the shelf...ain't misbehavin', savin' my love for you...Now I know for certain, you're the one I love...I'm through with flirtin', just you I'm dreamin' of...Ain't misbehavin', savin' my love for you..."
First recorded by Fats Waller in 1929, "Ain't Misbehavin'" has become a standard, recorded by countless artists since then. Hank Jr. made a name for himself with the more rocking country songs -- I think it's safe to say his sound owed much more to the Outlaw movement than to his father and all the folks his father influenced -- but his rendition of that sultry standard has always been one of my favorite records from him. I hadn't heard that song in, it had to be years, before tonight. Man, it's good to hear all that stuff again...