Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ah, yeah, this is a good 'ern...

...at the Boneyard, Sirius Ch. 19: "Look at your young men fighting, look at your women crying, look at your young men dying, the way they've always done before..."
I remember that biting piece of social commentary, the lead-off track from Guns 'n' Roses' Use Your Illusion II, being all over the radio in late 1991. One of my middle-school friends had that tape and we wore it out on his jambox listening to it in the mornings before class. I've said before here that I thought Use Your Illusion II was the better of the two G'n'R 1991 releases, and that song was one of the reasons why. Now that's not to say I agreed with what I thought the song was trying to say -- that is, that War Is Never the Answer -- but I still thought it was a great song that did have some worthwhile things to say.

Oh-hooo, HELL YEAH! 8:26 am: "Finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind...people think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time..."
My favorite Black Sabbath tune, the title track from their 1970 sophomore album Paranoid. That opening guitar riff always makes me go about 10 mph faster when I am behind the wheel. ;-) They also play a lot of Black Sabbath on the Boneyard, from both the Ozzy era and the Dio era. I like Ronnie James Dio, but the Ozzy Osbourne-era Black Sabbath records remain my preference.