Friday, April 10, 2009

They almost got it this time...

the Houston Chronicle editorial board, that is...

...Speaking in Ankara, Turkey, this week, Obama declared that the United States “is not and never will be at war with Islam.”
This is a wholly commendable sentiment, but as others have pointed out, the president’s words do not make it so. Since well before 9/11, radical Islamists have made it clear at every opportunity that they remain very much at war with America.
...
Obama is equally on point in reminding that the United States is home to a growing and increasingly influential Muslim population. We are, and that should be viewed and used as a strength.

It's good to see that the Chronicle didn't deny that we're more or less at war with radical Islam, but I don't know if I'd cast that growing Muslim population as a strength just yet. Unless I miss my guess, England has a growing Muslim population too, and we know how the English Parliament kowtowed to the Muslim clerics. Hollywood's already yielded to the Islamists once. I suppose that wound was still fresh and raw so soon after 9/11, but I'd be surprised if they wouldn't have done it even if The Sum Of All Fears was being made now. I do hope our government has the stones to tell the Muslims in this country -- if indeed we get to the point of inviting someone like Geert Wilders to Washington -- "Hey, this is how it is in this country. If you can't deal with being offended once in a while, then this ain't the place for you to be." Given who's in charge now though, I am not the least bit confident.