Monday, April 20, 2009

Conway Twitty sings of blurring the genres...

...sort of, right now at The Roadhouse, Sirius Ch. 62: "I love to hearrrr Bill sing about Kentuckyyyy, and the Allman Brothers' Raaaamblin' Man...we put the music all togetherrrrr, so dance to the Boogie Grass Baaaand...."
I never would have thought of calling the Allman Brothers' sound anything like "boogie grass," but again, I don't think the line between Bill Monroe and the Allmans was that long or that winding. Of course, I'm sure there are those who would beg to differ. I'll freely admit my own perspective is a bit skewed; as you might know, most of the music I blog about here came out either before I was born or when I was really too young to understand it. Just as an example, that particular Conway Twitty song ("Boogie Grass Band") was released in 1978, when I wasn't even a year old; and at the other end of the musical spectrum, the last of what one would call the old-school Metallica records, ...And Justice For All, was released ten years later. So I approach it as one who looks back on it all, not as one who listened to the music when it was on the charts. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see some aghast at some of those old Southern rock records being played on the classic country stations nowadays, never mind the suggestion that they actually fit pretty well. They'd probably be some of the same people who didn't care for the pop influences of Conway Twitty. Not that I'm saying that's bad, just making the observation. Some of his songs I didn't like precisely because of those influences. ("Red Neckin' Love Makin' Night," anyone? Blech.) He could sure nail the country sound when he wanted to, though.
Speaking of blurring the genres and the perspective of folks older than myself, AlanDP has some observations of his own as an older music fan. All of which I absolutely agree with.