Monday, July 13, 2009

Random thoughts on a new phenomenon

No offense to those of you who do it, but I just don't get the whole Twitter thing. (And I see I am not the only one...) I have a Facebook page and a blog, both of which I can see uses for vis-a-vis letting people know what I'm doing, thinking, or what have you, day-to-day. Beyond that, what's the point? I recall a blogger not so long ago who shall not be named who started off a post (or it might have been a sentence in a post) with something to the effect of, "Since most of you don't follow me on twitter..." And I got a huge kick out of that. I won't lie -- I thought, "Can you hear that clue phone ringin' there?" The whole thing just seems to me to have been created by and for narcissistic, egotistical blowhards. (Note: I am NOT saying everyone who Twits is a narcissistic, egotistical blowhard -- although I am sure many are...) When I went on my Neches River adventure yesterday I had my phone in the boat with me, and that's where it stayed when I got in the water. I suppose I could have Tweeted that, if I had a Twitter account...but why bother? It's just not that big of a deal to me that people don't know what I'm up to minute-by-minute. And if people really want to know, most of the time they can get ahold of me on my cell phone. I don't often agree with the points Wiley Miller makes in Non Sequitur, but I thought he nailed this one squarely in the X-ring. And I know it was about Facebook, but it's perhaps even more apt for Twitter.

Thoughts?