Friday, July 03, 2009

Hey, wait a minute...

...who's being arrogant now, hmmm?

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama said former Russian President Vladimir Putin and his hand-picked successor should expect an in-person reminder the Cold War is over when the U.S. leader makes his first trip to a Moscow summit.
Days before he departs for Russia, Obama said Thursday that Putin "still has a lot of sway" in his nation as its nominal prime minister. "I think that it's important that even as we move forward with President Medvedev that Putin understand that the old Cold War approaches to U.S.-Russian relations is outdated," he said. "Putin has one foot in the old ways of doing business and one foot in the new."
Call me crazy, but this seems to me to be a case of the student lecturing the teacher. I'm sure that Putin is a pretty smart guy and knows exactly what he's doing, considering he's a former spook. I don't know where in the hell President Feckless, rookie that he is, gets off trying to tell Putin that his way of doing things is outdated, even though it might well be just that. I thought the United States was through with that way of doing things. Is this more of that "change we can believe in"? Looks to me like the very same thing Obama's followers were deriding in last year's campaign.