Saturday, July 18, 2009

Random hits on rock covers: G'n'R, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, the Beatles and Megadeth

From what I remember Aerosmith did the original "Mama Kin," although I could be wrong. But I like the Guns'n'Roses version a LOT better.
On the other hand, I like Aerosmith's "Come Together" much more than the Beatles original. But then, I like most Beatles covers better than the original records. Motley Crue's "Helter Skelter" is another. (I also liked MC's version of that song better than Aerosmith's.)
Speaking of the Crue...My work buddy who's a big metal fan from way back when told me Motley Crue did a cover of the Sex Pistols tune "Anarchy in the U.K." I haven't heard their version of it (or the original), but I have heard Megadeth's cover and really like it. The Megadeth records on which Dave Mustaine spoke instead of sang (ex.: "Sweating Bullets") I wasn't a big fan of, but that song is an exception. "'Cause Iiiiii wanna beeee....anarchyyyy! It's the only way to be!" Oh, hell yeah.