Saturday, July 11, 2009

More Texas music....

....but not what you might be thinking, at Faction, Sirius Ch. 28: "Here we come, reach for your gun, and you better listen well, my friend, you see...It's been slow down below, aimed at you, we're the cowboys from hell..."
I've only heard that first Pantera groove-thrash disc (1990's Cowboys From Hell), so I was thinking they had two different guitar players -- one on lead and one on rhythm. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Dimebag Darrell was playing both parts and that they used overdubs to create that sound. Shows how much I have to learn about that old music, I guess. I was thinking they were like Metallica in that respect, with frontman Phil Anselmo playing the rhythm guitar. A guy I work with told me that after Cowboys, though, Pantera went to recording as they played live, with no overdubbing. Either way they sounded bad-ass.