Sunday, July 19, 2009

More rock cover short takes -- Thin Lizzy, Skynyrd and Metallica

I love Lynyrd Skynyrd. "Tuesday's Gone" is my all-time favorite song from them, as I've mentioned before. And of course I love Metallica. So their cover of "Tuesday's Gone" might sound cool, yes?
Not so much. They just seemed way the hell out of their element. The same friend who told me once upon a time that the Load records were crap, told me that Skynyrd cover was "Metallica doing redneck music." And keeping in mind he was a fan of bands like Pantera, Maiden and the like, I'm sure you could imagine the tone in which he said it. I sorta didn't agree with that then, but now that I like that classic metal a lot more, I understand exactly where he was coming from -- even though I still love that "redneck music."
On the other hand, "Whiskey in the Jar" just sucks. Both the Thin Lizzy original and the Metallica cover. I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they pulled that one out. But then on the whole the older Garage Days records beat the living hell out of the new stuff the guys recorded to re-release with those older songs. I did like their interpretation of "Turn the Page" and the Mercyful Fate medley, though.