Tuesday, April 06, 2010

All righty, Johnny Cougar, I have a question for you.

I hear people imply a lot, if not come out and say outright, that Old Media has higher standards about what it (as an institution) will run, whether it is in the newspaper, TV or the Web. Well, you've seen me ranting here and there about some of the letters to the editor they run in the two biggest Hearst papers in my great state, the Houston Chronicle and the San Antonio Express-News. I never thought I'd say this, but it seems the Express-News is the one with NO standards when it comes to what it will run in the letters to the editor, and this is the latest proof of that:

Why do the tea partiers and some Republicans seem to want our government to fail? Perhaps the visceral opposition to public expenditures and bipartisanship hides their loathing of the first African-American president.
How is this ANY different from "some guy (sitting) in his bedroom and (being) mean"? Or is it only bad when they're being "mean" to your pet politician? And who appointed said letter-writer to be their spokesman? I'm sure he speaks for many, but still, I think the overriding issue here is said letter-writer talking out of his ass. As Sabra says, this is what you get from people who have no critical thinking skills. But it certainly is aggravating sometimes.