Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mmm, more classic metal...

I've blogged about this band and this album before, but not this particular song.

Many say that 1990's Rust in Peace was Megadeth's finest work; I don't have enough of the band's catalog in my possession to make that determination for myself, but there's no denying it's a great metal album. One of the reasons for that was the album's opening track, "Holy Wars (The Punishment Due)," which of course dealt with the Northern Ireland conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants: "Brother will kill brother, spilling blood across the land..." Rival Metallica's lyrics were the first metal lyrics I saw that dealt with more weighty stuff than getting drunk and laid (yeah, I was a real late-comer to heavy metal), but there's no doubt Megadeth ran neck-and-neck with them and still does. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I hate that it took me 20 years to discover this stuff, but better late than never.