Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Yes, sir, another absolutely timeless record....

...at the Roadhouse, Sirius Ch. 62: "When I was just a baby, my momma told me son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns...but I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die...when I hear that whistle blowin', I hang my head and cry....play it Luther!"
If I remember right, Johnny Cash first recorded that song in 1955, but the live version from the seminal album recorded at Folsom Prison 13 years later was the better record, in my opinion. Maybe that's just because it's the one I am used to, but then live recordings of songs like that are always better as they give the songs an energy boost that just can't quite be captured in the studio. I liked the live version of Hag's "Okie from Muskogee" much better as well.
Oh, and another one right after that! 7:16 am: "Somebody told me, when I got to Nashville, son, ya finally got it made...ole Hank made it here, we're all sure that you will, but I don't think Hank done it this a-way..."
And the hits just keep on comin'! 7:20 am: "Well I never dreamed, she would take me that far...but by Sunday that lady had taken ahold of my heart..."
8:16 am at Willie's Place: "Oh the sun's gonna shine in my, life once more...love's gonna live heeeeere again..." I've always loved the Bakersfield Sound, and Buck Owens especially. Pretty much everything he recorded was golden, but that's always been my favorite.
Mmmm, 9:27 am, Hag doing Bob Wills, at the Roadhouse: "My little Cherokee maiden, I love her so, and though we're far apart...I know I'll never be tradin' my love for her, for anybody else's heart ..." Merle actually recorded that one a few years after the BW tribute album, in 1976 if I remember right. I'd love to have seen it on that tribute though. If you've ever heard George Strait do the song live you can tell he listened to this a lot in his formative years.