Sunday, February 15, 2009

Some real hope, maybe...

...as opposed to the kitsch peddled by President Obama and his minions, here:

DEKALB, Ill. (AP) — Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn joined hundreds of mourners gathered at Northern Illinois University on Saturday to mark the day one year ago when a gunman fatally shot five students in a lecture hall before turning the gun on himself.
...
The survivors have found different ways to cope. Some, like Maria Ruiz-Santana, who was shot in the throat, found closure in a visit to Cole Hall. Harold Ng, who was struck in the head by shotgun pellets, has turned to his faith.
...Ruiz-Santana, who previously wanted a career in law enforcement, wants to be a police officer and even interned with the NIU campus police last semester. She wants to help victims of mass shootings and is considering getting a gun license.
"I'm not afraid of guns even after what happened to me," she said.

When I read that I damn near got out of my seat and started clapping. It's great to see that there are still some out there who don't just curl up in the fetal position and start calling for more restrictions on God-given rights in the aftermath of an event like that. Oh, I know they're out there (ex: Suzanne Gratia Hupp), but to find them on a college campus, in a benighted shithole like Illinois, is a pretty damn good sign if you ask me. I do wonder though, if Ms. Ruiz-Santana knows she won't be able to carry her gun on campus or many other places in Illinois, and what kinds of action she and others will take to remedy that. In any event, though, I was glad to read that story.