Sunday, February 15, 2009

Interesting, but Strait's version is still the best...

Now playing at Willie's Place, Sirius Ch. 64: Mel Tillis, "Milk Cow Blues." Pretty good too, but the definitive version of that song was still done by George Strait and his Ace in the Hole Band. The full version of the Strait cut, on his 1995 boxed set, is even better than the album version from 1991's Chill Of An Early Fall, with the uncut instrumental solos. Whether on record or live, to hear the band show off with those lazy instrumental solos and to hear Strait growl, "...if you don't think I'm leavin', big mama, just count the days I'm gone..." is always a treat. I was very, very glad to see a live Strait cut of "Milk Cow Blues" make it to a recording, namely the live cd recorded at Texas Stadium with Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett. I had been wondering before if we'd ever get that. (Now, George, how about a live cut of "There Stands the Glass"?) I would be remiss in not mentioning Merle Haggard did a great job as well with a slight re-working of that song, titled "Brain Cloudy Blues," on his own 1970 tribute to Bob Wills.
Oh, I've never heard this before! 9:33 am: Ernest Tubb, "Fraulein." The only version of this song I've ever heard was the 1957 hit from Bobby Helms, but Tubb does a great job on it. Of course, you just can't go wrong with the Texas Troubadour...