Thursday, February 19, 2009

A different version of another song I haven't heard in years...

Now playing at The Roadhouse, Sirius Ch. 62, from the Wilburn Brothers: "Go down, go down, you Knoxville girl, you can never be my bride..."
The only other song I'd ever heard from the Wilburn Brothers was "Trouble's Back In Town," but I had heard the more famous recording of this old traditional murder ballad from the Louvin Brothers. Of course a song like that would never find any traction, with its ghastly content: "She fell down on her bended knees, for mercy she did cry...oh, Willie dear, don't kill me here, I'm unprepared to die...She never spoke another word, I only beat her more, until the ground around me, within her blood did flow..." Still a great song nonetheless. So much great music from years gone by has been forgotten, and I know there's only so much time in the day, but it's great to hear all of it being played again.