Friday, February 13, 2009

Random caliber musings...

Done what now? Caliber wars are what?...

Caliber wars are fun. I’ve been cruising The Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy lately, and for whatever reason there are multiple threads in which some guy rolls in with the assertion that “ROROROR .40 SUXXORS”, while at the same time asserting that the 9mm is a superior caliber. To the .40.

Now I know the platform wars are more fun than a barrel of monkeys, but I've never actively engaged in a caliber war, the biggest reason being I'd probably end up making myself look like a dumbass, and even regarding the smallest of the Big Three, Linoge said it pretty well: "Numbers and dick-waving aside, multiple 9mm JHPs will cause most people to reconsider their current activities..." That said, I still tend to think the 10mm is still the Goldilocks cartridge, that is, just right. Assuming the FBI didn't try any bullets lighter than 180 grains, I'd almost bet the 10mm would have fared much better if they had gone that route. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I've loaded my own 10mm with those 155-grainers to about 1400 fps, and I'd think with those specs you could take down just about anything on two legs. HOWEVER. For anyone reading this, the preceding was my entirely unscientific, wild-arsed guess just looking at the numbers. In any event though, those 10mm loads were surprisingly easy to shoot. Perhaps that's because I'd been thinking it would be worse with the exaggerated claims of the 10mm's recoil, but still I liked a lot. I've never tried any of the Double Tap ammo in my 10mms, and I know they'd be different, especially with the heavier bullets, but I'd still be interested to find out how they'd feel.