Monday, February 02, 2009

Ooooh, my favorite Jerry Jeff Walker tune...

...at Outlaw Country, Sirius Ch. 63: "He drives a '57 GMC pickup truck...he's got a gun rack, and 'goatroper needs love too' sticker, aaaaand it's uuuup against the wall, redneck mother..."
As most Texas and Americana music fans know, though, that song was actually written by Ray Wylie Hubbard. From what I've heard he hates it now, though. If I remember right, the first time I heard that song was also on Rowdy Yates' Sunday night classic country show, about the same time I first heard Willie's live cut of "Bloody Mary Morning." And it brings back some good memories as well. Note from comments: Cross Canadian Ragweed covered Hubbard's "Wanna Rock & Roll" on their Soul Gravy cd, and at the very beginning of the song you'll hear Cody Canada say, "This is a song by Ray Wylie Hubbard." I got a kick out of that because, of course, that's the exact same thing Gary P. Nunn says at the beginning of "Up Against The Wall Redneck."