Sunday, February 01, 2009

Random Sunday music musings...

I was glad to see I am not the only one who never understood why so many people spontaneously go into orgasm when the name Bruce Springsteen is mentioned. And it never had anything to do with his politics either. Maybe part of it had to do with that widespread adoration, but then I always thought Springsteen's voice was crap no matter what he was singing, which in turn rendered whatever he was singing into same no matter what it was. I heard "Born in the U.S.A." on the radio the other day and I just rolled my eyes as I went looking for something else. "Not just no, but heeeell no."
On the other hand, while I perfectly understand what Scott Chaffin is so pissed off about here, I still like Kid Rock quite a bit, to be honest. I think he's a really good singer, material notwithstanding, and from what I've read he's a pretty big fan of the old country and the newer, more traditional singers like Alan Jackson as well. I think he could probably make a pretty good country album if he'd apply himself as opposed to wasting his talent on derivative throwaway crossover crap like "All Summer Long." I know he's gotta sell records, but just, damn that song sucked.
Oh, HELL YEAH! Now playing at the Roadhouse, Sirius Ch. 62: Mel Street, "Forbidden Angel," 1974. I always thought Mel Street had a great honky-tonk voice, that he was definitely one of the most underrated singers of the 1970s. I wonder if I'll ever get lucky enough to hear his version of "Looking Out My Window Through the Pain." George Strait recorded that one on his 2000 self-titled cd and I thought it was one of the greatest single songs he'd ever recorded. "The deviiiiil droooove the taxi, that caaaarried her away....and it hurrrts to know, she's hung up on, some guy from yesterday...once again, she's chaaaasin' memoriiiies, and I'm losin' everything...but I love her, so I'll wait for her...looking out my window, through the pain...."