Sunday, February 15, 2009

It's only fair...

...or, an omission on my part.
Linoge, on the assclown named Jacob mentioned earlier:

There is certainly more than enough asshattery to go around, but at least be intellectually honest enough to assign your targets correctly. He just belongs in the general purpose "fucktard" heading.

That is indeed the truth. And I do think the asshattery is probably more prevalent on the three-percenter side, to be honest, and I should have pointed that out. But as you said, Linoge, there's more than enough to go around, and I just thought both sides should be highlighted. My apologies for the broad brush strokes, although I will say the fact that Jacob is just one person is mitigated substantially by the fact that he's an officer for a state-level gun-rights group, namely the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association. I don't think his assclownery reflects well on that organization, and the fact that the organization is on such a critical front just makes it worse. And I do think it'd be interesting to see what would happen if some of the bigger gun blogs highlighted said assclownery the way Sebastian highlighted Mike Vanderboegh's letter to the editor. I'd bet we'd still be dismissing Vanderboegh as just one person too, if his rhetoric had been treated the way Jacob's has been too. I am sure not as many people would rush to Jacob's defense as rushed to Mike's, but I still think it'd be illuminating to the debate to find out just how many of them are out there.