Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I love this song, yes, I do...

here: "I hope you're enjoyin' the scenery, I know that it's pretty out there...we could go hikin' on Tuesday, with you I'd walk anywhere....California has worn me quite thin, I just can't wait to see you again, come Monday, it'll be all right, come Monday, I'll be holdin' you tight..."
It seems that when someone mentions Jimmy Buffett to most music fans, invariably his 1977 smash "Margaritaville" comes to mind. I always liked that song, and still do despite the fact that it's wildly overplayed compared to the rest of his catalog, but "Come Monday" has always been my favorite Buffett tune, from the first time I heard it. I saw this comment from Buffett long ago:
"...A song of mine like 'Come Monday' is a direct result of me trying to write a Gordon Lightfoot song."
I never thought about that before, but it does make a lot of sense.