Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another "what the hell" moment...

So I got a wild hair and decided this morning to drive to Houston. Before I muse on what I went for, I do have a couple of things to say about what I heard on the radio on the drive back.
I was listening to Rush, and he played some snippets of a speech Barack Obama gave, I guess it was last night. I'd never actually heard this guy talk or read any transcripts of his speeches, but after hearing that all I can say is what DO people see in this character? If what Rush played of that speech was any indication, he has absolutely nothing going for him besides his ability to talk. It really WAS little more than believing in hope and change. The first thing I thought upon hearing it was, this is basically the rhetorical equivalent of cotton candy. But I'd also bet that if he talked more about his ideas and what he has in store for this great country should he get elected, there would be more than a few who would be turned away by that. There was actually a self-proclaimed conservative who called in to Rush's show who said that he'd vote for Obama just because of his rhetorical skills, even though he didn't agree with a lot of Obama's thus-far elusive ideas, just because "he makes me feel good about myself" or some such claptrap. (The actual quote I do not remember, although I will say it was very close to that.) Rush later opined the caller was a plant because the caller said he was inspired by Reagan in high school -- and, as Rush asked, what high school is actually going to teach GOOD things about Reagan? I swear, though, this cult of personality is going to be the death of us all if we don't watch out...
Now, where did I go? I went to Houston to check out Carter's Country, the outdoors place that's kinda like Gander Mountain but a good bit smaller. I'd always heard great things about it but had never been, so I figured I'd take a ride & check it out. It's a pretty neat place, actually, with just about any kind of gun you could want, from revolvers to EBRs. They were also the only place in the region that dealt the Shooting Chrony. I needed another one but didn't want to have to get it through the mail, and I was off work today, so I figured I'd just gas up the truck & go over there and get one. I picked up the Beta model, the blue one with the 60-shot memory that stores the data even when it's turned off. I've had good luck with the Shooting Chrony products themselves; it's just my aiming too low that's been the death of them, so to speak. ;-) We'll see how long this one lasts! I think I've learned my lesson, though...