Friday, February 01, 2008

I Get Referrals: Dan Wesson Better Than Kimber?

...this time, from Park City, Utah, "dan wesson 1911 better than kimber".
Depends on who you ask. Regular readers know that not quite a year ago, I talked with a guy at a pawn shop in Beaumont who carried a Pointman Seven at one time, if I remember correctly, and said the Dan Wesson 1911 was much better than the Kimber -- even before CZ bought the Dan Wesson operation. Which would make sense, I suppose, considering that from what I've heard, not a lot changed on the Dan Wesson manufacturing front -- the guns are made now by the same people, at the same factory, using the same processes, etc. that they always have -- but the prices went up about $200 or so after the CZ acquisition. Even at those higher prices, though, I can honestly say that my Razorback was more than worth what I paid for it. But I will say that if there's any truth to what they say about the price difference, and if the quality was the same, the Dan Wesson was arguably hands-down the best 1911 value on the market, Kimber Kool-Aid drinkers be damned. Even as things stand now, though, they still run neck and neck with the pistols from Yonkers even on Kimber's best day. Dan Wesson 1911 better than Kimber? I don't know if I'd go quite that far, as I have a bit of a hard time saying that one gun maker is better than another at least as far as reputable manufacturers like DW, Kimber, Springfield, Ruger, Glock, Sig, etc. go. Is it at least as good? Yes. Now, when you factor in the price, maybe that would make it easier to say the Dan Wesson is a better gun. If you're looking to save a few dollars and still get a top-quality gun, the DW is indeed the way to go.