Thursday, February 21, 2008

Fine weapon, but I still don't know...

I'm thinking that for $2900 before tax, this thing had better be able to go downrange and change my targets when I am out shooting it, and detail strip & clean itself when I get it back home. The .50GI is a pretty nifty idea, I reckon, but I don't know if I'd be willing to trade off that reduced magazine capacity even for that hot 300-grain load listed here. It was quite amusing how they compared that load to a relatively mild .44 Magnum load. Talk about stacking the deck. If I needed something at that level I think I'd just run with my 10mm loaded with something like the Buffalo Bore 200-grain load at 1200 fps. And I guess I've missed that "big concussion blast" of the 10mm, but I just can't fathom how it would be as bad as some people try to make it out to be. Talk about a fable that's gotten long in the tooth. Can't be any worse than .357 Magnum out of the Ruger SP101's 2.25-inch barrel. My hottest 10mm loads have felt like a pussycat compared to those.