Saturday, February 02, 2008

Another of my favorites, from Glen Campbell...

here: "I am a lineman for the county, and I drive the main road....searchin' in the sun for another overload..."
1968, the year "Wichita Lineman" came out, was a great one for country music...other hits from that year include "Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line," "D-I-V-O-R-C-E," "Harper Valley P.T.A.," and "Mama Tried." And I am sure I could think of more...
Well, speak of the devil! Right after that, "I wanna tell you all a story 'bout a Harper Valley widowed wife..."
11:10 pm, from nine years later: "My hat don't hang on the same nail too long...my ears can't stand to hear the same ole song...and I don't leave the highway long enough, to bog down in the mud...'cause I've got ramblin' fever in my blood..." Like Rowdy Yates said, I never would have believed that song was not a No. 1 record...went to No. 2, if I remember right...