Sunday, June 14, 2009

Shoulda talked about that before you got married, you fool...

or, hey, a chance to rag on a guy for a change!...

Dear Abby:
I married “Kelli” less than a year ago. She’s a great person, very positive and a hard worker. She is not someone I would have imagined myself with five years ago, but I’m almost 30 now, and I thought we’d grow together over time.
Before our wedding I was hit by the worst anxiety of my life. I began feeling that the marriage might be a huge mistake. Sleep became impossible. My mom asked if I wanted to call off the wedding, but I thought it was just pre-wedding jitters.
As I said, Kelli is a great person — but my unease about whether I made a mistake is still with me. I’m also not sure if things will stay as pleasant as they are now.
More troubling is that Kelli wants to start having kids. I do not want to have children, be in a miserable marriage and end up divorced. I have been to counseling to work on my anxiety, but the thought of a child terrifies me....


...yeah. I didn't think it was just the females who jumped into things, and this right here is proof of that. Reading his letter evokes the phrase "damning with faint praise." Very positive? Hard worker? Good grief, man, you're her husband, not her boss at work! Thought you'd grow together over time? Call me crazy, but I thought you were supposed to do that sort of thing before you got married. With apologies to Kevin Fowler, I feel sorry for the next guy in line, because he ain't got a chance in hell. I know I'd certainly not want much to do with the opposite sex for a while after something like that. Way to go, buddy, you're gonna make yet another woman think all men are scum, as if there aren't more than enough who think that already. I'm no relationship expert, but all this seems to me to be nothing more than common sense. Do people just not communicate anymore? Was I really born 20 years too late?