Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Couple of musical observations...

...before I jet for the day...
I don't have Guns'n'Roses' Appetite for Destruction yet. I desperately need to remedy that. I know well that "quantity" does not equal "quality," but still, every time I hear a cut from that album I am reminded of just why it has sold almost 30 million copies worldwide since its 1987 release. "Nightrain" all by itself would have been worth the coin. Axl Rose may have all sorts of issues, but there's no denying that the American rock'n'roll canon just would not have been the same without his band's contributions to it.
On another note, Nickelback seem to me to be one of those bands that gets an undeservedly bad reputation; not long ago I saw them referred to as the "Rascal Flatts of rock." Really? I mean, I could do without the ballads, but those boys can really rock when they want to....whereas it seems Rascal Flatts really struggle at sounding even remotely country...