Saturday, June 26, 2010

Yes, I still like this band...

...and this song, at Prime Country, Sirius Ch. 61: "Been a long time gone, no I ain't had a prayer since I don't know when..."

For those of you who don't remember (since it HAS been a while since that song was played on mainstream country radio from what I remember), that's "Long Time Gone," the lead-off single from the Dixie Chicks' 2002 album Home. That album was a marked departure from the Chicks' previous two albums, with a more rootsy, bluegrass flavor to it; it was, in my opinion, the best of the band's first three albums. I hate that Natalie Maines felt the need to shoot off her mouth on that London stage a few months after that album came out; I would love to have seen that album and more of its songs get more attention on country radio. Of course, I do remember it being said that if "Long Tim Gone" had been cut by anyone other than the Chicks it wouldn't have gotten played, let alone to the point that it would have been a No. 1 record. Call that another opportunity wasted, because with the Chicks' popularity they showed that even semi-traditional country was more than commercially viable...