Tuesday, February 09, 2010

It might be a harsh thing to say...

...but I'm not really broken up about this...

Rep. John Murtha, the tall, gruff-mannered former Marine who became the de facto voice of veterans on Capitol Hill and later an outspoken and influential critic of the Iraq War, died Monday following complications from gallbladder surgery. He was 77.

I can respect the man's service in the military, but everything beyond that is deserving of almost nothing but contempt. Gun record be damned. Sure, he "brought home the bacon" for Pennsylvania, but that bacon was bought with other people's money. And of course there was the infamous Haditha slander, in which Murtha accused United States Marines of cold-blooded murder -- accusations which turned out to be completely untrue. And as far as I know he never acknowledged ANY wrongdoing in relation to that, not a word of regret or apology to the brave men whose names he tried to sully. I am sorry for his family and I hope God forgives him for his sins, but that is about all I can say.