Friday, February 19, 2010

Ahh, my favorite song from ...And Justice for All...

....right now, at the Boneyard, Sirius Ch. 19: "I give, you take, this life that I forsake...been cheated of my youth, you turned this lie to truth..."

I discovered Metallica via the self-titled black album as I've said before, but even so I thought Justice was the last of the truly great Metallica records -- at least perhaps until Death Magnetic. There are those who defend what came after by saying that James and the guys had explored that sound as far as they could and that it was time to go in a different direction, but I don't know if I buy that. Other thrash metal bands had explored it for about the same length of time as Metallica had, and they blasted on down that road even as Metallica took that detour. Maybe it all came down to inspiration; maybe Cliff Burton's death really did affect them that much. At any rate, as I've also said before, I am glad they went back in that direction.