Sunday, May 31, 2009

On ignoring hurricane warnings...

Worried that...what, again?

Worried that residents ignored warnings about Hurricane Ike because it only registered as a Category 2 storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale, forecasters will de-emphasize use of the scale this year.
The National Hurricane Center is changing the well-known scale’s name to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale on an experimental basis and is removing all references to storm surge from explanations of the scale.


Only registered as a Category 2...with winds of over 90 mph. I guess some folks might tough it out through that, but I don't think I'll ever quite understand why. It might not sound like much, but as for me whenever they advise evacuation I'll be doing it. I'd just rather not deal with the immediate uncertainties of winds like that blowing stuff all over the place. Maybe that's just me...