Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Just some food for thought...

...upon reading this story...

Around 2:30 a.m., witnesses said a man entered the Scottish Inn and Suites at 8109 West Little York and appeared to recognize a woman waving from a balcony...
The man, brandishing a semiautomatic pistol, fired several shots and hit another woman, who was hospitalized with a non-life threatening arm wound. Another man wrestled the pistol away from the gunman and shot him dead...

All right. You know how the antis say, "carrying a gun to defend yourself isn't a good idea because your attacker will only take your gun away from you and shoot you with it." Well, I could be wrong here, but it seems to me, in all the stories I've read of any kind of armed self-defense, the attackers have been the ones being disarmed by their intended targets. And I know some of us say in response to the antis, "Well, I'll just take it back from him!" I know that's largely tongue-in-cheek, but stories like this do give that response a fair amount of credibility. From what I remember, in all the studies I've seen on defensive gun use, there is a small percentage in which the defender is disarmed by his attacker but that percentage is so small as to be of practically no significance. Now that I think about it, I wonder how many of those were of attackers being disarmed, especially in certain studies funded by anti-gun Justice Departments...