Saturday, May 02, 2009

Shared constitutional values?

Patrick Leahy didn't really say that, did he?...

Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, who will preside over confirmation hearings as chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said he hoped Obama would consult with lawmakers in both parties. He then issued something of a gentle challenge to Republicans. "I hope that all senators will take this opportunity to unify around the shared constitutional values that will define Justice Souter's legacy on the court," he said.
Shared "constitutional" values revolving around more government power, as evidenced by Souter's votes in, for example, Kelo v. New London and Heller v. D.C. I knew Pat Leahy was a lefty, but I didn't realize his perspective on the Founding Fathers and the Constitution was quite that twisted. I for one would hope they get as far away as they can from Souter's legacy, but maybe that's just me.