Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mmmm, George doing some good ole Western swing...

...at Willie's Place, Sirius Ch. 64: "in your heaaarrrt, please just remember, right or wrong, I'm still in love with you..."
Written by Bob Wills and Tommy Duncan, "Right Or Wrong" was the title track to Strait's third album from 1983 and his fourth No. 1 hit. Strait's always had an affinity for the Western swing and he's proved himself to be damn good at it, especially on stage. (Ironically enough, from what I remember reading, Merle Haggard's Bob Wills tribute album was how Strait discovered him.) He hasn't played "Cherokee Maiden" in years, but "Take Me Back to Tulsa" has been a staple of his live show probably since long before the first time I saw him 13 years ago. I'd love to have been old enough to have seen him back at those south-central Texas honky-tonks like the Cheatham Street Warehouse and Gruene Hall. But I'll take seeing him live wherever I can.