Monday, September 27, 2010

Do what, Kenny Chesney?

I have to wonder what kinds of people Kenny Chesney talks to and/or hangs out with...

You could ask a guy my age or 90 when was he the happiest and had the most fun, and everybody that I have talked to said it was when they played high school football.
I guess this is probably the band nerd in me talking, but I can't imagine ever saying anything like that. I had fun in high school, and my experiences with the band ranked way up there, but it certainly isn't where my happiness in life peaked. Of course I've mentioned before that that I identify a lot more with songs like Cross Canadian Ragweed's "17" than, say, Jason Michael Carroll's "Where I'm From," the tune that mentions a variety of cliches, among them the quarterback dating the homecoming queen -- but even so, I'd like to think that even if I had been the star quarterback it wouldn't have been when I was "happiest and had the most fun." Maybe that's not a fair assessment of what Kenny Chesney's saying, but if that's the case why is it that he so often goes back to that particular well? "Young," "Never Wanted Nothing More," "I Go Back," and now "The Boys of Fall"? I understand looking back on those days fondly now and then, but there's a difference between that and what seems like constantly having your head turned...

(h/t Country California)