Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hey, somebody else likes the old music too!

Via ye olde Site Meter, I got referrals from this search and this one.
That first one looked to be a search for something related to the old Del Reeves hit "Girl on the Billboard." If I remember right the first time I heard that song was back in my College Station days on 98.3 KORA. In fact, I think also heard the original version of "World Through A Windshield" on that station as well, which Texas singer Cory Morrow recorded on his second album The Man That I've Been. I really liked those songs but was unable to find anything from Del Reeves in the music stores. Later I found out that most of his music was out of print, which is a real shame because I'd also love to hear his version of "Good Time Charley's," which was recorded by George Strait on his 2001 cd The Road Less Traveled.
As for the second..."there ain't no good in an evil-hearted woman, and I ain't cut out to be no Jesse James, and you don't go writin' hot checks down in Mississippi, and there ain't no good chain gang..." Ahhh, one of my FAVORITE classic country hits! Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash, "Ain't No Good Chain Gang," from 1978. Not one I hear that often, and so it still hasn't lost its luster...definitely one of those songs I could stand to hear more. I liked most of the collaborations the stars of the day did with each other back in those days...Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and George Jones, Tammy Wynette and George Jones (although "The Ceremony" has to be the biggest piece of cringe-inducing schlock I've ever heard, they more than made up for it with "Two Story House")...

...but if I had to pick an absolute favorite duet from back then, it'd have to be that Waylon & Cash duet, followed very closely by Merle & George's "Yesterday's Wine." Good, good stuff...like that wine, it only gets better with time.