Monday, October 27, 2008

A Good Guy Gets A Louder Mike

I've been reading Bill Whittle since May of 2005, round about the time his Sanctuary essay came down the pike. It didn't take me long at all to plow through all the essays that came before it. To this day I envy his supreme eloquence and insight. I was quite glad to see him get a writing gig at National Review (More Bill Whittles and Mark Steyns, guys, and fewer Chris Buckleys and Kathleen Parkers!) and added to the staff at Pajamas Media as well. At the same time, though, I missed those longer-form essays. He delivered early this morning, and although it's not one of those epic conceptual analyses like Sanctuary or Tribes, it's still a more than worthy read. A snippet...

I do not blame Barack Obama for believing in wealth distribution. That’s his right as an American. I do blame him for lying about what he believes. But his entire life has been applying for the next job at the expense of the current one. He’s at the end of the line now.

I do, however, blame the press for allowing an individual citizen to do the work that they employ standing armies of so-called professionals for. I know they are capable of this kind of investigative journalism: it only took them a day or two to damage Sarah Palin with wild accusations about her baby’s paternity and less time than that to destroy a man who happened to be playing ball when the Messiah decided to roll up looking for a few more votes on the way to the inevitable coronation.


You know what to do next...