Monday, January 07, 2008

...does it really HAVE to be that way?...or, Fred Thompson for President!

GeorgeH, in comments to Saturday's post:

I'm afraid it will have to be McCain.

Yup, I'm afraid of that too, although I don't really think it will HAVE to be. It's still quite early in the game, and I know Fred Thompson hasn't done well so far. But it would just be wrong to let that defeatist mentality take hold so early. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- with that kind of attitude we might as well just give up our guns and everything else now. It ain't over till it's over, and I suspect many if not all of those yelling "Fred is finished!" were the same ones telling us earlier to vote for Giuliani or Romney because they'd have the best chance of winning. Come to think of it, they're STILL saying that when they're not proclaiming Thompson's candidacy dead.
As for McCain, well, I more or less share Kevin Baker's opinion of him:
ANYBODY but McCain. He and everyone who voted for McCain-Feingold ought to be ejected from the House and Senate on grounds of violation of their oaths of office. And McCain should be tarred and feathered for good measure.

McCain-Feingold is probably the biggest skeleton in Fred's closet. I know well that he voted for that, and I don't excuse that. As big as that skeleton may be, though, I just don't see it justifying a vote for anyone else running on the GOP side, let alone one of the very architects of that odious legislation. And besides, as hard as I try, I can't see Fred saying something like, "I would rather have a clean government than one where quote First Amendment rights are being respected, that has become corrupt."
He's not perfect by any means, but I think he's the best we're going to get. Anybody but McCain, indeed. As of now, though, I'd like to change that to, "Nobody but Fred." And I don't mean that to be faint praise. I like Fred Thompson and am proud to say he's the guy I'll be supporting for President of this great land.