Monday, March 16, 2009

Well yeah, see, that's the problem with democracy...

Gun-banning fark-tard Paul Helmke:

Most of us believe that in a democracy, the voters make the rules.
Yep, and that's the problem with democracy, which is why the Founding Fathers set up a constitutional republic with certain safeguards for protections of the minority — so 51 percent of the people couldn't just vote away the rights of the other 49 percent on a whim.

Americans who have lost loved ones to gun violence are tired of the guys with the guns making the rules.
Yes indeed, so how about we disarm the ATF and let them enforce their bullshit rules with their bare hands, and maybe the DEA agents while we're at it? Somehow I don't really think that's what he was talking about.
Helmke was, of course, riffing off Wayne LaPierre's remark at CPAC that "the guys with the guns make the rules." Which, of course, goes to a fundamental truth — you can, ultimately, only get away with enforcing your decrees on people if you're better armed than they are. Not that I'm surprised that would go right over a Brady-ite's head, but still I do find it frightening that someone so ignorant of such basic truth would have the ear of the most powerful man in the world. I do wonder though...what does he think happens when "democracy" ultimately fails, as it seems to be well on its way to doing here?