Friday, January 29, 2010

That's a mighty big assumption there, Sparky...

...but then, modern country fans seem to be really good at that sort of thing:

gotta love the people dissing auto tune and kanye west / t pain, I laugh at you country music extremists who only know of country, bluegrass and some southern rock
I am a listener to all genres, open your head and your ears up...

...The Fog Horn String Band
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Elvis Costello
okay so that says you like older music, which is fine but you need to mix it up with current or you’re gonna turn into one of those people who hates everything out there

This is perhaps the most common of said assumptions -- that is, that those of us who deride what much of mainstream country has become only listen to the older and more traditional country music. And the people who make these assumptions have absolutely nothing to back them up. I've said it before and I'll say it again: My dislike for new country didn't make me go back and just listen to the classic and red-dirt country. I branched out more into rock and metal and found a lot to like there, and I'd venture to say I'm not the only one. If people like that want to call people like me a "country music extremist," I don't really have a problem with that, but I really wish they'd dispense with the unfounded assumption that the old country is all we listen to.

For the record: I listened to the Fast Ryde song so as to be able to make an informed decision. It sucked. Just like I figured it might. I don't agree with everything Jim Malec writes at The 9513, but he pretty much nailed it here.