Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I would love to know what has changed...

...in the black community, that has not changed so much in the rest of America...

According to a new poll conducted late last year by the Pew Research Center, hope is on the rise in black communities. Thirty-nine percent of blacks say blacks are better off now than they were five years ago. That's nearly double the 20 percent who felt that way just two years before.

I would love to know why the outlook of American blacks is so much different from the rest of the country. Something tells me not that much has changed in the black community as opposed to the rest of America. I thought it was pretty funny how Leonard Pitts used that as a springboard for what amounted to little more than fluffy rhetoric about hope and change and optimism. Speaking of hope, I would hope that it would take more than the election of a black president to make blacks think their standard of living has gotten better; but as far as I can tell, that's the only thing driving that poll result.