Sunday, December 21, 2008

Random musing...

A song from BobG's latest playlist brought back a memory that made me grin...
A good while back, one day when I was at work this woman I work with started singing, "If you got the money honey, I got the tiiiime..." Just for grins I thought I'd ask her if she knew who originally sang that song.
"Hank Williams."
I was like, do what? She had about three decades on me, so I thought for sure she would have known that was the late, great Lefty Frizzell. I told her this and she insisted that no, it was Hank Williams. For a good couple of weeks it went on like this, until one day I came in the office and she looked at me with a wry grin, shaking her head." I said, "What?"
"You were right."
"I TOLD you!" We both had a good laugh about that one, and she started rattling off other classic country songs to see if I knew their titles and who sang them. About 95 percent of them I did. She was pretty surprised that I knew so many of those old songs, with me being as young as I was. Like I've told folks before, I'm a bit of an odd sort as far as that goes, as a lot of the music I like came out either before I was born or when I was too young to understand it. And it's all just as good now as it was when I first discovered it...