Monday, December 29, 2008

Random Monday Musings

God, I haven't heard this song in YEARS! Now playing here:

If I could I’d vote for Willie to run our government
“Good mornin’ America, how are you?” He’d say with his pigtails and a grin
He would unite the whole nation with his guitar and his song
It’s the only thing that makes perfect sense
Willie Nelson for President


The last time I remember hearing that song was the year 2000, on Dallas' 96.3 KSCS. (Seems like several lifetimes ago now...) Another great thing about living in Texas — you'll probably never hear regional artists on the big country stations in Atlanta, Chicago or Los Angeles, let alone in regular rotation. I am pretty sure I wouldn't vote for Willie, but that was still a great song. Substitute someone like George Strait and that'd be something I might be able to get behind. Of course, George could be a raging lefty a la Bruce Springsteen for all anyone knows, but his keeping his politics the hell off the stage and out of his music is something I've always respected Strait for...