Saturday, January 24, 2009

Random observations from Saturday night Sirius...

1. You learn something new every day, it seems. I never knew that Ricky Skaggs did not do the original "Crying My Heart Out Over You," which he took to No. 1 in 1982. I was not surprised, however, that it was done by one of Ricky's favorite bluegrass duos, Flatt & Scruggs. And of course the original is good too, even if it was different.
2. Billy Joe Shaver does a pretty damn good job of covering Merle Haggard's "Ramblin' Fever." I think it'd be interesting to hear him put his own stamp on more Hag tunes. For some reason I think him putting his own stamp on "Workin' Man Blues" and other songs like that would be really cool.
Oh, yes, SIR, old-school Ray Price! "Now I've got heartaches by the number, troubles by the score...every day you love me less, each day I love you more..."
Mmm-hmmm, I love me some Hank Thompson, oh YEAH! 11:06 pm: "I didn't know God made honky-tonk angels, I might have known you'd never make a wife..."
Awww, yeah, Buck Owens, 11:37 pm, "We'll make a scene about a man that's sad and lonely, and beggin' down upon his bended knee...I'll play the part, but I won't need rehearsin', all I gotta do is, act naturally..."
Yeah, I'll have another shot of Lefty, 12:28 am: "If you've got the money, honey, I've got the tiiiime..."
12:48 am, my favorite Nitty Gritty Dirt Band record! HELL YEAH! "Now I'm beatin' down a ole blacktop road, sleepin' in a sack, livin' in my memories all in vain...'cause those city lights ain't all that bright, compared to what it's like, to see lightning bugs go dancin' in the rain...."


PS: If you're wondering what I'm doing here, I'm waiting on my baby to get home from work. :-)