Saturday, January 03, 2009

Hadn't heard this one in a looong time...

My main preference for country music is pretty much everything that came out before Garth Brooks, but even so I will readily admit that the early-to-mid 1990s was a damn good time for traditional country, all things considered. Besides Mr. Brooks, there were, among others, Alan Jackson, the Beaumont boys (Mark Chesnutt, Tracy Byrd and Clay Walker) and another of my favorites, Atlanta, Texas native Tracy Lawrence, who hit it big right out of the gate with "Sticks and Stones" in 1991. There are a lot of No. 1 hits from that time that I rarely have heard since the time they were chart hits, and one of them is my favorite song from Tracy Lawrence, "My Second Home," the third single from Tracy's sophomore album Alibis and a No. 1 record on Billboard's country singles chart the week of December 11, 1993. I had neither heard the song nor seen the video in a loooong time. I must have not really been paying that much attention to the video way back when, because as it turns out it's another one of those "count the cameos" videos featuring several country stars who were having success at the time. The song was on the radio this morning and it really was a pleasant surprise. I have that cassette somewhere but nothing to play it on, and I remember the rest of the album was really good as well...I believe another trip to the music store is in my immediate future...