Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I hate this, but I can still understand...

...why George Strait won't be at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo again this year...

Every year, soon after the RodeoHouston lineup is announced, there are complaints. And every year, several of them are along the lines of, "Where's George Strait?"

Well, don't blame RodeoHouston, folks. They tried...


The timing this year just didn't work out, and I can understand that, though I still think it sucks. I'm gonna do my damnedest to make that South Texas date, but we'll see. This from the comments really hit me the wrong way, though...
...he needs to remember that if not for the Houston rodeo, he would have never gotten out of playing the clubs.

Dude, with all due respect, screw you. As a George Strait fan I hate it as much as anyone that he won't be making it to that revolving stage at Reliant Stadium this year, but to suggest that he's forgotten what he owes to the HLS&R or that he hasn't paid that debt back (let alone MANY times over) is the height of sour-grapes asshattery. I suspect the logistics of getting him on that stage aren't as simple as a lot of people think, but even if they were, the man has paid his dues. From what I've read Strait's played the rodeo more than 20 times, and I would be hugely surprised if he hasn't sold out there every single time. I've seen him there twice myself and from what I remember when I was getting tickets, it sold out in less than an hour both times, in 2006 and '07. (For the record, I thought it was pretty damn cool to see him ride out on a horse.) I do hope he comes back next year, though.