Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hey, my favorite Waylon Jennings record!

Now playing at The Roadhouse, Sirius Ch. 62: "....Now you better do some thinkin' then you'll find, you got the ooooonly daddy that'll walk the line..."
1968, the year that song came out, I later found to be a hell of a year for country music. "Mama Tried," "D-I-V-O-R-C-E," "Harper Valley P.T.A," "Folsom Prison Blues," and "Wichita Lineman" all came out that year as well. I love all those songs, though "Harper Valley P.T.A" seems to be one of those songs that comes up a bit too frequently in the Country Legends 97.1 playlist...
Oh, SON OF A...! 9:35 am: "hey Lizzie, well, a man's got to have a dream, and if you can't walk on the inside with me, I'll meet you in between...oh, come with me Lizzie, and the stars will write your name...and if you think I'm a-lyin' to ya, look a-yonder, there comes the rain..." Yep, my favorite Tanya Tucker tune...
And now for something completely different! 9:47 am, at the Boneyard, Sirius Ch. 19: "NOW! Let my people go, land of Goshen...GO! I will be with thee, bush of fire...BLOOD! Running red and strong, down the Nile...PLAGUE! Darkness three days long, hail to fire..."
For those of you not well versed in metal, that is Metallica's "Creeping Death," from their 1984 sophomore album Ride the Lightning. Based on the tale of the plagues inflicted on the Egyptians in the Book of Exodus, it's one of my two favorites from that album, the other being "For Whom The Bell Tolls." For being so young and inexperienced, they came up with some great music back then.