Monday, September 03, 2007

A Diamond in the Lump of Coal

As much as I like the older country music, as much as I agree with Jack Sparks about why country music (as heard on country radio) has gotten to be the way it is, every now and then something good comes along.
One of those good things was this song, Diamond Rio's 2003 No. 1 hit "I Believe." The song all by itself was very touching, but the video just takes the song to an entirely new level. I am not a terribly big fan of videos in general, but the video here takes the concept of the song and slams it home in a way that most videos just can't. Sparks might categorize this song as one of those hackneyed ditties about angels, but I'll still admit this video brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat every time I see it, especially the end of it. An absolutely exquisite work.