Saturday, September 15, 2007

Another Judgment Of Our Culture

...and, as JR says, this is just completely beyond fiskage. Although there are a couple of "points" (and I use that term in its loosest possible sense) that deserve to be addressed:

If it is really that hard for one to lay down their arms and live a life of peace and prosperity, then perhaps it is due to a lack of better things to do. I have thus constructed a list of possible activities to take the place of killing in your weekly planner.
Options range from, but are not limited to: ice skating, basket weaving (a UConn specialty), planting a tree, learning to play an instrument, helping the poor, helping yourself, taking long walks on the beach, and finally, my personal favorite, survivalism taught first hand in the 21st -century epic that you and I know as "Man vs. Wild."
First up, let's talk about "helping yourself." I would argue that becoming versed in the art of the boomstick is "helping yourself" in more ways than one. Off the top of my head? It will aid you in the task of gathering food, make it a lot easier to defend yourself from two- or four-legged predators, and it's quite the stress reliever; an additional side benefit is the good feeling you get from learning these skills -- "Hey, I can do this, it's really cool that I can rely on myself."
Taking long walks on the beach? Anyone want to take bets that this guy likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain too? I'd see that bet, go you one better and say it's his favorite song. Hey, if he gets to make half-witted snarks, then by-george, so do I!
Survivalism -- oh, now this one's just too easy! Anyone wanna pitch in and buy this guy a ticket to, say, the Alaskan backcountry, along with everything he needs, sans projectile weaponry? Unless, of course, he was speaking merely of "survivalism" in, say, a town with no Starbucks. I'd say that's a safe bet too, but I'd still buy him that plane ticket to Alaska. He'd find out what that whole "survival of the fittest" thing is all about. Bet he'd be rethinking that whole "get rid of the guns" bit as a bear was preparing him for dinner. Call it cruel and unusual, but some people need to experience firsthand the consequences of their misguided idealism.

In case you didn't get the memo, contrary to what is shown on TV, violence is not an acceptable form of conflict resolution, and the simple, little process called 'speech' is much easier and better at solving problems.
For some strange and unknown reason, a quote from sci-fi author Robert Heinlein comes to mind:
Anyone who clings to the historically untrue—and thoroughly immoral—doctrine that "violence never settles anything" I would advise to conjure the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom.
I don't know much about Heinlein, but I would think he has a much better grasp of history and human nature than does Chris Donnelly, and the same could be said for the peerless Bill Whittle:
To the many who scorn the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution as the dangerous plaything of illiterate, mindless oafs who enjoy loud noises, let me simply refer you to that great unbiased and incorruptible teacher: History.
Ask yourselves why intellectual elites so love totalitarian states where people are unarmed and dependent sheep. Look at the examples of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, and Saddam, and the horrors they have inflicted at will on their own people. And when contemplating your ever-so-sophisticated foreign policy, ask yourselves what compassionate and non-violent options you are left with when facing a determined, heartless bastard like Hitler, Napoleon, Ghengis Khan or Attila.
Some say that the time for real evil like that has finally gone. I hope you are right, I really do. I don't want to go fight those bastards; I'd rather barbeque and watch the Gators. I'm sure the Jews in 1930 Germany thought such things could never happen again, not in the heart of European culture and civilization. I'm sure every bound and beaten musician, surgeon, philosopher and painter being lined up at the side of a ditch thought exactly that.
No doubt they did think exactly that, Mr. Whittle...no doubt at all.
As for Mr. Donnelly and his pathetic writing and reasoning "skills" (once again, loosest possible sense here)...when I see things like that in print, I am reminded of nothing so much as monkeys flinging shit at the zoo and screeching at whatever it is they screech at. The fact that this is what passes for Reasoned Discourse (tm) at a media outlet at a major American university is more than enough to make one think that the apocalypse is indeed nigh. I'd like to think that Mr. Donnelly's future potential employers would think twice about giving him a job after seeing this tripe, but I am afraid they won't...and that's a truly frightening prospect. Trust in the mainstream media may be low now, but seeing things like this, I can't help but think it's really going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel in years to come.