Friday, August 20, 2010

No wonder the education system is in such trouble...

This link at Kevin Baker's place this morning reminded me of this story I read earlier this summer in the San Antonio Express-News:

Fierce competition for public school teaching jobs this summer could be difficult enough without being seen as a second-rate candidate, as those emerging from alternative teacher certification programs are sometimes viewed. 
I must say that I never understood that. I honestly thought the folks who went through the alt-cert program would have been more valuable with their real-world experience, as opposed to education majors who know just education better than anything else. And I would never cast aspersions on elementary education majors as all being like they were in the above-linked exchange any more than any other major...though I must say it'd be quite frightening to run up on, for example, an aerospace engineering major who had that mindset.