Monday, October 05, 2009

Some Monday morning thrash.

When one gets past the vocals on some of the heavier forms of music, such as the various metal subgenres, one will see that the practitioners of the art can come up with some damn good lyrics. I recently discovered another example of this, with California thrash metal band Testament's recent work. Much of it I have yet to hear, but I was privileged recently to hear the band's take on the events of September 11, 2001, a fine little record called "The Evil Has Landed." From everything I've heard and read about Testament, the band more or less falls into the second tier of the '80s thrash bands below what everyone calls the Big Four -- Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth -- but everything I've heard from them sounds damn good, and this cut from their latest album is no exception.

"...see the flames on the river, is this our judgment day..."